The Fault In Our Stars

Finally, I have found another book and another author that would be engraved forever on my 
'Favorite List'
Well, a friend of mine has been crazy about the book and the author since quite a long time ago but I was busy with my other readings to actually make time for this one.
I started reading this tear-jerking tale three days ago and got completely hooked with it!

Basically, the story is about a girl named Hazel who suffered from cancer and a guy called Augustus Waters (Aah, how I love his poetic name). When I read the synopsis for the very first time, I found the storyline rather ordinary and predictable. Although it turned out that my prediction was right, the male protagonist died first, or should I say, the male protagonist no longer suffered from personhood earlier than the girl, but the book wasn't boring nor ordinary at all like what I thought it would be. However, I don't want to blabber and spoil the complete story in this post because this is a book that you absolutely must read!

What do I love about the book? Plenty! Let's see. First of all, I really enjoy John Green's writing style. It has a really nice flow and very light to read, you just simply can't put it down! Once you started reading, you're just going to turn one page after another and before you know it, you're already halfway through!

 On top of that, even though this book is filled with jargons, they don't make the book sounds like one of those pretentious piece of literature, it's still highly readable. In addition, I love the psychological and philosophical aspects reflected in this book. More importantly, the one thing that made me fall head over heels for this book is one of the characters, Augustus Waters himself. I simply love the image of him, the smart remarks he makes and even the little things he does like how he always says "Hazel Grace" every time he picks up her call or how he always proclaims to feel "Grand" every time Hazel asks how is he feeling. I'd be lying to say that my heart didn't break when cancer ate away the very last bit of personhood in him.

However, just like Hazel and her almost obsessive curiosity about the ending of An Imperial Affliction, I also experience the very same excruciating pain when the book ends with an ambiguous line of "I do, Augustus, I do". When I turned to the 313th page which is the last page, I finally understand what Hazel felt when An Imperial Affliction ended in a cliffhanger. Incomplete and unsettled. What will happen to Hazel? When will she join him on the other side? What will become of her parents?
Perhaps these are some little questions that best remain unanswered

Simply a perfection.
I would give all the stars there is if I have to rate 'The Fault In Our Stars'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment