Review: The Best Laid Plans

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
Indeed.

Although in a modern world as of today, this quote reminds me of the memes:
"A jealous woman does better research than the FBI" XD

This quote somehow reflects the basis of another Sidney Sheldon novel that I just read earlier today. Yes, my friend. I just simply can't put it down! There was a bazaar on campus today and I luckily spotted a book stall that sold secondhand book. To be honest, I was so delighted that I unconsciously squealed like a baby chipmunk. As all Sheldon's novels were bestsellers, they were sold for RM12 each but you can buy other novels for as cheap as RM6! I was ecstatic, I bought 3 books right away and got a special deal of RM30 for 3! For your information, that's the price of ONE new Sheldon novel!
After I bought my new lovely babies, I started reading straight away and finished one in a day.

This time, Sheldon's character is Leslie Stewart, another brilliant and gorgeous young lady who's working as a public relations. One day, a hottie named Oliver Russell, who was a congressman working his way to become the governor, came to her and asked for her help to organize his campaign for the upcoming elections. Although Oliver is notorious and infamous for being a womanizer, they soon fell in love and decided to get married. A week before their marriage, Oliver, suddenly married his ex-girlfriend, Jan, a daughter of a powerful Senator for political reasons instead, leaving Leslie broken hearted. And so begin the story of Leslie's plan in attempt to destroy Oliver Russell.
Oh yes, I smell revenge! :3

This time, Sheldon's novel is more into the political world and the dealings that occurred beneath its smooth surface. Leslie attempted to destroy Oliver, who's elected to be the President Of The United States later in the book, by expanding her media/press empire. However, although she managed to harm his reputation, Leslie somehow failed to make him taste a glimpse of hell. Not only politics, this book also revolves around crimes and several homicide cases! I swear, at the beginning at the book any readers would suspect that Oliver had been the one who's behind all of the murders. This time, my intuition in guessing who's the bad guy didn't work. I was utterly tricked by Sheldon and his awesome writing skills. Every chapter has its own little surprises that'd keep you guessing.

I did enjoy the book but not the ending. Again, the ending disappointed me because the heroine didn't 'win' this time. There was no happy ending for her! Another unfinished puzzle that will always keep me wondering 'what's going to happen next?':(


No comments:

Post a Comment