Between Me and Running

I love to run. When I think about it, I don't even remember when did I start loving it for the very first time. Just like many other human beings, I'm a paradoxical creature, I contradict myself ever so often. Just an example: I'm much of  a loner, I like spending time with people but there is always a limit where being surrounded with people actually ends up draining my energy. Another example: I'm a competitive person, but only when it comes to test scores and grades. When it comes to sports, I really don't like the competitive aspect of it. Running allows me to embrace this self-contradictory side of myself. It's a form of exercise that allows me finish it in my own pace and it can be done all by myself without having to rely on a fellow team member to not screw up an assist or score that winning goal.
 
As much as I love running, however, these few months I've been afraid of running outdoors as I've been having really bad nerve pain down my back, which is often exacerbated further by humidity and heat. The pain can be so bad that sometimes it's paralyzing and I have to lean back against the wall to support myself. Things took a turn when I was tempted by an advert for a running competition. To be frank, the thing that piqued my interest and encouraged me to join the running event was the cute finisher medal. I decided to join the run betting on my aching back that was very much likely to cause me heaps of agony and pain. But boy, I'm now not regretting my decision at all.
 
That morning, I downed a Tizanidine and hoped that it'd hold back my pain. Thankfully, throughout the run, my back was not aching, not even a bit. Perhaps it could be because the day was still young and the cool morning air lingered so the heat that triggered my demonic pain wasn't there yet. So yeah, I finished in the Top 5% Runner in the end. As I'm now addicted to running events, I've signed up for two other running events in April. I really can't wait!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment